As you have probably guessed by now, I love Year 7! This year I was blessed with another gorgeous bunch of year 7 babies who were so open and receptive to every project I proposed.
This ceramics project was a real experiment. It was either going to go really right, or really wrong. I think they turned out pretty well.
We started by making the cylinders. I thought this would be the trickiest part, turns out this was one of the easiest! I made a bunch of 1cm tubes by rolling up some newspaper sheets. We used these as the scaffolding to wrap 1cm clay slabs around and then scored and smooshed the joins. The newspaper stayed inside the cylinders as they dried.
The kids then used various tools and stamps to create the textures on each cylinder. They had to make 5 each.
Each cylinder had 2 holes poked through on each side of each top of the cylinder. ****NOTE!! If you’re going to do this project with your students, MAKE SURE the holes are fairly large and poke a hole straight through to the other side! My students made each hole individually and getting string through after they’d been fired (and the holes didn’t line up) was challenging to say the least!
We used nylon kite string. It’s easy to thread and super strong!