I didn’t anticipate how long this project would take. Perhaps I should have thought about it more – but that’s really not me. It’s taken nearly a whole term to complete these Cabinets of Curiosities and not sure if I’ll do it again.
Creating the cabinets took the biggest chunk of time! We used the cardboard lid off A4 paper boxes and created shelves with extra cardboard strips. We then papier mached the cabinets and finally painted them. Phhew!! By then, I was tired of the project already and we hadn’t even started making the objects!
Every student had to make 6 objects, each with a magical quality which they documented in their “Object Documentation Log Book”. We used a whole range of materials to create the objects, including magic clay, ceramic, paper clay, cardboard and other bits and pieces from around the art room.
I think the students liked the project but the length of time it took to complete ended up making it a little boring. The objects have some fabulously magical qualities though. My personal fave was the everlasting hamburger! (not pictured here, but ever so scrumptious!)