Just so you know, I hate measuring! I try to avoid it in everything I do. But there are some things, I’ve been told, that DO require measuring and apparently, making a quilt is one of those things. WRONG! I made this quilt without a measuring tape in sight.
I cut everything by eye and yes.. admittedly, my patches aren’t even and I had to do some extra trimming, but apart from that, I’m pretty proud of it. Here’s how I did it:
First, I took out that old box of scrap fabrics from yesteryear and cut them up into relatively even shaped squares. I assembeled them into the size of the quilt I wanted to make (at this stage – I had no idea how big it was actually going to be)
Next, I took each row and stitched each square together. Remember, right sides together, so your fabric ends up the right way!
I then ironed the seams flat, just to flatten everything out.
I then pinned each row together and stitched one row to the next to make the top layer of my quilt. I pinned and stitched each row one at at time – this made it more manageable. At the end of this step, you may need to do some trimming of the edges, just to even it up a bit.
For the padding I used this polyester stuff that comes in a roll. I bought it at spotlight. It cost about $16 for 150 x 200cm. For the backing of the quilt, I used a zebra print felty kind of fabric.
So at this point, I rolled everything out and sandwiched my top part with the padding and the zebra backing. I trimmed the padding and back to fit the top layer.
To finish the edges, I folded the top layer over the edge of the padding and folded the zebra backing in as well.
I held the bits down and pinned it together. I repeated this all the way around the quilt.
After I’d stitched all around the edges, I machine stitched over all the seams of the patchwork top layer. This part was a tad tricky and I broke 3 machine needles in the process. But I got there in the end.
It’s finished! And my measuring tape never left the drawer!